Steam is one of the largest digital game distribution platforms, with over 125 million active users worldwide. Steam wallet cards allow you to add funds to your Steam account easily so you can purchase games, software, and other items on the Steam store.
But with Steam being available globally, the wallet cards and currencies can be confusing. This complete guide will walk you through everything you need to know about Steam wallet cards. By the end of this guide, you’ll be a Steam wallet card expert, ready to buy and redeem cards seamlessly no matter where you are in the world!
What Are Steam Wallet Cards and How Do They Work?
Steam wallet cards are prepaid cards that allow you to add funds directly to your Steam wallet, which is a virtual wallet to hold funds to make purchases on Steam.
The cards come in various preset amounts, typically starting at $20 USD and going up to $100 USD, depending on the country. The amount of the card, such as $50 USD, gets added to your Steam wallet when you redeem the card through Steam.
You can then use the funds in your Steam wallet to purchase games, DLCs, in-game items, software, and any other items available on the Steam store. The wallet funds act just like cash in your Steam account.
When you go to check out, you can choose to pay either with your Steam wallet funds or an external payment method like a credit card. Using a Steam card is a fast and easy way to add money to Steam without needing to enter payment info each time.
What Countries and Currencies Are Supported?
Steam wallet cards are available in a variety of countries and regions around the world. Here is a full list of supported countries and currencies that Steam cards are available in:
- United States – USD
- Canada – CAD
- Mexico – MXN
- Brazil – BRL
- Australia – AUD
- New Zealand – NZD
- Japan – JPY
- Taiwan – TWD
- Singapore – SGD
- Malaysia – MYR
- Philippines – PHP
- Thailand – THB
- Indonesia – IDR
- Hong Kong – HKD
- India – INR
- United Kingdom – GBP
- Eurozone – EUR
- Poland – PLN
- Norway – NOK
- Denmark – DKK
- Sweden – SEK
- Argentina – ARS
- Chile – CLP
In general, Steam wallet cards are available in most countries that Steam supports. The denomination and currency of the card you purchase should match your Steam account currency.
If you move to a new country, you can change your Steam account currency through your account settings. Any existing wallet balance will be converted automatically.
Where to Buy Steam Wallet Cards Online and In Stores
Steam wallet cards can be purchased both online and at physical retail stores worldwide. Here are some of the best places to buy Steam cards:
- Directly through Steam – Steam allows you to purchase digital codes for wallet funds in all supported currencies right through the Steam website. This is the most seamless option.
- You can also buy Steam gift cards without verification completely anonymous using crypto or bitcoin at BuyCryptoCards.COM
- Electronics stores – Major electronics retailers like GameStop, EB Games, or GAME often carry Steam cards.
- Supermarkets – Larger supermarket chains may have GameStop or Steam gift card racks near the electronics section.
- Convenience stores – Smaller convenience stores, gas stations, or gaming cafes may also sell Steam cards.
- Game stores – Local video game stores, especially those that sell Steam keys, are likely to carry Steam cards.
The availability of in-store Steam cards will vary greatly by region. In the US, GameStop, Walmart, and BestBuy will have the largest selection. Research your local options online before heading to the store.
If a store doesn’t carry Steam, general prepaid Visa/Mastercards also work. The advantage of branded Steam cards is they allow you to add funds directly without entering any sensitive information.
Redeeming Steam Wallet Cards
Redeeming Steam wallet cards is very quick and easy:
- Buy Steam wallet card from BuyCryptoCards.COM
- Open the Steam client and click the “Games” menu followed by “Activate a Product on Steam”.
- Enter the code from the Steam card and click “Next”.
- Select “Add funds to your Steam Wallet” and click “Next” again.
- Steam will automatically add the funds from the card to your Steam wallet!
Once redeemed, the Steam wallet funds will be available instantly to make purchases on Steam. You can see your current wallet balance under your username in the upper right.
If you ever have an issue or error redeeming a Steam gift card, you should contact Steam Support for assistance. Be sure to keep your receipt and Steam card until the funds show in your account.
Buying Cards in a Different Currency
When purchasing Steam wallet cards, it’s recommended to buy cards that match the currency of your Steam account. However, if you’re traveling or can only find cards in a different currency, you can still redeem them with a couple extra steps:
- If your Steam account uses Euros but you bought a USD card, Steam will convert the USD funds to Euros at the current exchange rate when redeemed.
- For other currencies like CAD, GBP, or AUD, Steam will first convert the funds to USD based on their exchange rate tables. Then the USD amount gets converted to your account currency.
- Due to the double conversion, the final amount added to your wallet may be slightly less for non-USD currencies. But the cards will still work.
- You can view Steam’s currency conversion rates under Account Details > View Currency Wallet Balance. Rates are updated daily.
- For unused gift cards bought abroad, you may want to re-sell them locally to avoid a currency conversion loss.
In summary, while matching currencies is ideal, Steam cards purchased in any currency will work. The funds just may be slightly less after exchange rate fees.
Hopefully this guide has covered everything you need to know about purchasing, redeeming, and using Steam wallet cards all around the world. Here are some key tips to remember:
- Check which currencies Steam supports in your country before buying a card. Match the card currency to your Steam account.
- Buy official Steam cards online through retailers like Amazon or directly via Steam for convenience. Or find them locally in electronics, gaming, and convenience stores.
- Redeeming cards is simple – just scratch the code, enter in Steam, and the funds will appear in your account.
- If needed, you can redeem cards in non-matching currencies. Just expect a small loss from the currency conversion.
With Steam wallet cards, you’ll enjoy an easy way to add funds to Steam and make purchases online. Whether you’re gifting cards to friends or want to buy yourself the hottest new game without using a credit card, Steam cards have you covered. Enjoy exploring the Steam catalog!